<CORSA Chapters> Club Autocross Corvair

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Apr 9 16:17:19 EDT 2006

Well, I came into the picture pretty late but do have a few comments.

Best place to start IMNSHO is a stripped late model that has little value
for restoration but is solid enough for a starting point. The CF car is
targetted at "Improved Stock" which is really the cheapest place to run.
For events using the NECC rules as a guide (
http://www.corvair.org/chapters/necc/page5.html ) this allows a lot of
"mixing and matching". If you have a large enough base of members, there
are probably enough "left over" parts stashed in garages to make a good
car. A good car can be built from an EM but more work is required and
things tend to break more often. Four bolt weels are also harder to find.

Personally I prefer a four speed for authocrossing though I have had some
recommend a three speed. Personally I would not suggest a powerglide unless
forced and no event exceeds 45 mph. 3.55 gear is fine but if a posi can be
found that will materially improve times.

The venerable 110 hp motor is probably the best choice for an engine since
the NECC rules put 140s in a different class.

14x6, 14x7, and 15x7 GM wheels are probably also cluttering up garages,
particularly Pontiac Rally IIs.

You do want to pay attention to the suspension and remove all slop.

Steering is another point - I would replace the stock 16" wheel with a 6"
dish with a 14 or 15" wheel with a 3 or 4" dish. Grants pop up on e-bay
constantly. Finding a hub is that hardest point if the car is a 64-66 since
they use a 5/8" shaft instead of the more common 3/4" shaft.

Quick steering arms are another must or will be after trying the first
tight autoX with stock steering. The FR steering box is nice but not necessary.

After that if you have skilled members you can trade time for $$$ in
preparation. Tires are an item that you can either spand a lot on or haunt
the big tire dealers since a fat tire on the last 1 or 2 32nds is ideal for
autocrossing. You do want to have more than one set since tires wear fast.

Harbor Freight has an inexpensive tire changer and balancer (both for about
$90 when on sale) and a good investment. If you go through a lot of used
tires, mounting and balancing can get expensive fast.

Once it starts being used, it will get popular fast and lets people
discover autocrossing without risking their show car. The nice thing about
a Corvair is that is can compete for years on less cost than one set of
tires for a Corvette.

Padgett