<CORSA Chapters> Club Autocross Corvair

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Mon Apr 10 12:17:33 EDT 2006

On Apr 9, 2006, at 4:17 PM, Padgett wrote:

> A good car can be built from an EM but more work is required and
> things tend to break more often. Four bolt weels are also harder to
> find.

Without getting too deep in the weeds on car prep, I'll say that if I
understand the goals:

  - Club project
  - Cheap
  - Fun
  - Reliable
  - Generate public interest in Corvairs
  - Generate club interest in autocross

then an early is just fine.  Nothing about an early is any less
reliable or requires any more work - assuming a fairly stock 95 or 110.
  I wouldn't use a turbo or 140 for this (no matter EM or LM), use a two
carb engine to start.  As for wheels, the early Corvair pattern is
plenty easy to find if you get in touch with the Japanese car crowd.
And if you decide to make it really fast, just recall that FTD at
Porland was set by a particularly fast '60.

--Bryan