<CORSA Chapters> Sharing Chapter Members

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Tue Jan 2 07:22:57 EST 2007

On Jan 1, 2007, at 10:25 PM, Steve Goodman wrote:

> Hello all:  Just a quick note, I belong to RMC and PPCC.  The dues
> barely
> cover the printing of the newsletter so the idea of 'sharing members',
> even
> though it is good and probably works for some clubs; wouldn't work
> here.  I
> guess that is a bad choice of words, how about if I say it wouldn't
> change
> anything.
>
> Let me ask this question and hopefully it won't generate a lengthy
> thread:
> how much are local dues these days around the country?  RMC=
> $22-----PPCC=$20

Dues for CORSA South Carolina are $15 per year. New members joining
after July 1 pay $10. After one year of membership, members are
required to join CORSA.

We have a raffle at our monthly (11/year) dinner meetings that makes
good money and more than pays for the newsletter. Some of our members
receive the newsletter only through e-mail. I get both. We are in good
financial shape. We bought several hundred dollars worth of CORSA
merchandise and vendor gift certificates for gifts for our Christmas
party in December. We also made a donation to CORSA; I think it was
$300. Last year we made a little money on our annual autocross,
"Corvairs in the Curves". This was our only money-making event and
doesn't always break even.

Because I feel our dues are reasonable, I would probably not be in
favor of having an associate membership for less money. We've discussed
this before and never done it. What if a guy joins as an associate
(newsletter-only) member then shows up at an event (such as our rally,
economy run, picnic, etc.)? I suppose we could charge him for the
event, as if he were a guest, but then he'd be paying as much or more
than if he'd joined as a full member. (Full membership = $15. If
Associate Membership was $10 and we charged him $5 for running our
rally he'd have paid $15.).

Or even worse, what if he shows up at our Christmas party?

Let me explain - we sell raffle tickets for $1 at our eleven monthly
dinner meetings. At the Christmas party we give five raffle tickets to
all members who have paid their dues for the next year. I suppose we
could only give the raffle tickets to paid full members. I just don't
see much difference between paying $15 and paying $10 for membership.
These days, you can't hardly buy a meal at our monthly meeting for much
less than $10.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
President, CORSA South Carolina