<CORSA Chapters> Sharing Chapter Members

Christy Miller christy at seattlejobs.org
Tue Jan 2 02:09:43 EST 2007

Happy New Year from the (very) rainy Pacific Northwest!

Corvairs Northwest annual dues are $20 US. We have 103 family members and we
mail 12 issues of our full-color newsletter to all members, plus 17
newsletters are mailed in exchange (both in the US and Canada.) Our dues
just cover this expense so we raise additional funds throughout the year to
cover everything else.

One of our neighbor clubs, the Cascade Corvair Nuts, charges $13 and their
newsletter is only sent via email in .pdf format.

We don't find that people have any heartache with the dues. In fact, they
often times comment on the economy of the thing as they actually do receive
12 color newsletters annually and we have activities almost every month.

We're able to do this because we purchased a color ink jet printer that can
handle large paper (11 x 17 inches) so we do the printing ourselves. We mail
in a large envelope (10 x 12 inches) so it doesn't get munched in the mail.
The printing is a big, thankless job - until we receive the feedback.

Aside from our members and activities, the newsletter has been our single
biggest membership recruitment and retention tool. We find that many members
stick with us even when they're not able to actively participate because of
the newsletter. It keeps them in the loop and they feel as thought they're
still part of the group when other things have kept them away. It is
especially useful with our retirees who fly south for the winter.

Our membership spans the states and provinces of Washington, British
Columbia, Oregon, Idaho, California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Wisconsin.

We tend to put on the dog when we do events such as econo-runs, car shows
and tune-up days, so these events are not money makers. How we fund things
is through 50-50 raffles, selling car parts and merchandise, and through
in-kind and cash donations. Our bank account is healthy and we're happy with
our finances. We've been in solid enough straights to be able to make
donations to CORSA-sponsored causes for the past few years.

There you have it - far more than you asked for. Please let me know if you
have any questions.

Christy

Editor of the award-winning Vair-iety