<CORSA Chapters> Membership, dues and such

George Jones 65crownv8 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 00:10:43 EDT 2008

Just a suggestion from a newbie here:

First, regarding the need to make all local club members CORSA members:

Years ago, the Tidewater Corvair Club discussed becoming a 100% CORSA
club, and because it was brought up from the membership, a long
discussion ensued, (no raised voices, no fist pounding). The person
who brought the motion forward had his ducks in a row. He approached
the club officers and the "die hard members" and obtained their
support for the motion, before bringing it to the attention of the
club. When he brought the motion before the club, he highlighted all
the reasons for becoming a member of CORSA, and had thought through
all the arguments against. When all was said and done, the club voted
to approve the motion. We didn't loose any members because of it, at
least none that I am aware of.

So rather than dumping a requirement on everyone, all at once, (yes, I
realize this isn't whats being suggested) in the form of an article in
the Communique, I would suggest that a concerted effort be made to get
in touch with the local club officers, bring them on board first and
give them the ammunition to argue for adopting a 100% policy, then
have them stimulate the conversation at a club meeting.

It's always easier to convince someone an idea is good, if you can
make them feel it's their idea.

Second, regarding making all CORSA members become local club members:

I think this is going to be a little harder to do. Geography  plays an
important part in this decision, especially in many of the western
states. Dues may, to a lesser extent, play a part as well. I'm also
aware that personal politics plays a part as well. I don't believe
most local clubs need the extra membership, but I do believe they need
members to be more active in the club. I only have the Tidewater Club
to judge from, but with a $12 annual dues, we aren't getting rich, nor
are we going bankrupt. We tend to keep a couple thousand in the bank
for club activities and hosting the Vair Fair. With an ever increasing
number of members with email capability, our major expense (postage
for newsletters) is actually decreasing.

Just my $0.02 worth.

--
Ask me how you can win this 64 Monza Convertible

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/65CrownV8/TCC%20Project%20Car/

George Jones
Tidewater Corvair Club (since 1987)
Central Virginia Corvair Club (since 2006)
Corvair Society of America (CORSA)(since 1987)
'65 Monza Crown V8 Convertible
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2397326
'66 Monza Coupe Custom (in progress)