<CORSA Chapters> [Corsabod] 100% CORSA Membership

gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Tue Dec 15 12:30:33 EST 2009

I wonder how many of us can remember when we were the new guy in the club?

Around 30 or so years ago I was recruited to join the NFCC by another
Corvair owner. I had never joined a car club, and in fact did not belong to
any clubs.
I was young, married with 2 kids, and bills up the wazoo!
A $10 a year membership in a local club was a lot of money, an
extravegance. But I joined, and started enjoying things. That is where I
learned about CORSA, but I did not join CORSA for sevreal years due to
financial reasons, and sure, the what's in it for me attitude. But later
on, after my interest in Corvairs and the car hobby increased, as well as
my finances, I became a member.
Now, If from the start, it was "join or get out", I would have walked away.
To me an attitude like this is wrong thinking.

Over the years, I have seen people join the NFCC, some stayed, some left,
some joined CORSA, some did not. And I have seen people age, and can no
longer afford and maintain their cars. Maybe some who remain members on a
local basis to maintain old friendships.
You're trying to tell me we will have to cast them out?
Pay up or get out?
No, again, wrong thinking.

The chapters can be a tool for recruitment and support, a one hand washes
the other relationship.

CORSA surely has money problems, and a declining membership. Just like
government, that spends all its time looking for new sources of revenue,
usually in the form of taxes and fees. Government cannot figure out every
new fee has another effect, the money is taken from something else, it is
not automatically there, it does not come from midair. So, some will leave,
some will stay. Others will get so PO'd they will disillusion others.

I don't have the answer, but I think someone is loading the gun, getting
ready to shoot themselves in the foot.

Gary Swiatowy