<CORSA Chapters> [Corsabod] 100% CORSA Membership

Bill Hubbell whubbell at cox.net
Tue Dec 15 14:08:05 EST 2009

Garry brings up a valid point when he states that the chapters act as a
recruiting tool for CORSA; in fact, the chapters are the very heart and soul
of CORSA.  It is certainly reasonable, therefore, to offer new prospects a
certain period of time to "sample the wares" before requiring full
membership, but I would argue that "several years" is too long of a trial.

CORSA's biggest problem is that they have done a horrible job of selling the
value of membership.  Let's face the facts; very few (if any) chapters would
still be in existence some 40 years after the demise of the Corvair were it
not for the presence of a strong national organization that ties them
together and gives them a national presence.  Therefore, were it not for
CORSA, it is very likely that Gary would never had the opportunity to be a
member of NFCC for "several years" before joining CORSA because NFCC would
likely have faded away for lack of publicity or a reason to exist.

Think, too, of all the technical advice published in the Communiqué over the
past 40 years (Tech Guide now up to Volume 3), as well as the numerous parts
and vendor services available largely due to the presence of a large
national organization.  Did Gary benefit from any of that while he was a
non-CORSA-dues-paying member of a CORSA chapter?

It is time for CORSA to realize that there is value given to granting a club
charter membership in CORSA and it is only reasonable that CORSA receive
fair compensation for that value.  Do we really think that has been
happening these past 40 years?

If indeed "financial hardship" is the only reason preventing CORSA
membership, then the CORSA BOD should be able to create a "pay what you can"
category of membership to keep interested parties in the fold.  The point
is, though, that if you receive a benefit, you should pay something.  If
your club really believes they receive no benefit, they should leave CORSA
and see how they fare without it.  I suspect they might be surprised to find
it is not so easy being all alone.

Bill Hubbell