[FC] Oh oh, cracked "frame"?

Merv Krull corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Feb 16 18:05:02 2003

Greenbrier Blues?

While cleaning up the bay around the tranny and transaxle, I noticed a
sizeable crack in both frame rails immediately behind the rear body mounts.
Further investigation revealed some miss-shaped sheet metal where the frame
meets the floor panels at the forward corners of the opening.

GB is presently correctly set up on jackstands.

Should I start crying or is this fixable? Anyone experienced this before?
Would this be caused by a PO jacking it up by the rear bumper? Or a rear end
collision? Would sitting on jackstands aggravate this situation?

I'm thinking clean up the crack, do some thumping with a dolly hammer, maybe
try to convince the crack to close with delicate application of a porta-tool,
tack and weld together, then add a plate.

wwwwaaaahhhh!
sob!

Merv