[FC] Can This Quarter Panel Be Saved?

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Jul 13 09:31:02 2003

That quarter panel is definitely savable, however it isn't for the amateur
body man to do.  I would have a professional shop do the repair for you.  In
my experience as both a repair shop and a consumer, I have learned that the
shops that work on the more expensive cars are the ones that also do the best
work.  You want the panel repaired, not just ground and filled with plastic
filler.  Plastic fillers are OK for a very slight skim coat, but if they are
applied heavy, then the material has a tendency to shrink and eventually
crack.  A good body man will "dolly" out the dent and will work the metal
until there is no trace of the damage left and then prepare it for painting.
If it is done properly, you will never be able to know it was repaired.  My
estimate of the cost will be between $500- 750 (10 - 12 hours) for the metal
work and prep for painting looking at the picture.  The variance is dependant
on what the hourly labor charge is in your area.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: * Greenbrier Goon *
  To: virtualvairs@skiblack.com ; corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2003 1:01 AM
  Subject: [FC] Can This Quarter Panel Be Saved?

  Hey everybody:

  Any of you who have good body work skills please take a look at this:
  http://www.c-zone.net/northgte/FC-quarter.jpg

  This is the passenger side quarter panel on my '63 Greenbrier.  It has
  looked this way since I bought it in 1994. A previous owner side-swiped
  somthing and damaged both side cargo doors and the rear quarter panel.

  The time has come to fix up the body on this van. Not having any good body
  work skills, I don't know if this can be fixed or if it should be replaced.
  Most of the damage is toward the rear of the panel, but there is a small
  crease running almost the entire length of the panel.

  Maybe someone who knows body work can give me some advice.  I wan't this van
  to look really good without any half-assed body work.

  I have located one almost perfect cargo door and one not-so perfect one. The
  not-so-perfect one has more rust than I originally suspected when I bought
  it.  I may be in need of a better one to replace that one.

  Charles

  Greenbrier World:
  http://www.c-zone.net/northgte/greenbrier.htm

  1963 Greenbrier PG (soon to be 4 speed)
  1963 Corvair 95 4 Speed (soon to be scrap)