[FC] Re: <VV> Can This Quarter Panel Be Saved?

Tony Underwood corvanatics@corvair.org
Mon Jul 14 12:06:01 2003

At 05:01 AM 7/13/2003 +0000, * Greenbrier Goon * wrote:
>Hey everybody:
>
>Any of you who have good body work skills please take a look at this:
>http://www.c-zone.net/northgte/FC-quarter.jpg
>
>This is the passenger side quarter panel on my '63 Greenbrier.  It has
>looked this way since I bought it in 1994. A previous owner side-swiped
>somthing and damaged both side cargo doors and the rear quarter panel.
>
>The time has come to fix up the body on this van. Not having any good body
>work skills, I don't know if this can be fixed or if it should be
replaced.

If you managed to turn up a NOS replacement panel or perhaps a good used
one that hadn't been carved from a donor vehicle with a pick axe, of course
it would likely be best to replace the damaged sheet metal...  but it would
require some MIG welding etc,

In lieu of replacement, I'd not see a lot of terrible heartache in
repairing the dented panel since it doesn't look *that* bad.   I've fixed
worse but if you can turn up a replacement panel, do it.

>Most of the damage is toward the rear of the panel, but there is a small
>crease running almost the entire length of the panel.

Noted...   and it's not all that easy to get behind that panel to work the
crease either.

>Maybe someone who knows body work can give me some advice.  I wan't this van
>to look really good without any half-assed body work.

Poll the lists, see if someone has a parts FC that might donate a good
panel...?

>I have located one almost perfect cargo door and one not-so perfect one. The
>not-so-perfect one has more rust than I originally suspected when I bought
>it.  I may be in need of a better one to replace that one.

How bad is the damaged door that this rusty door is to replace?   Got a
photo?

tony..