[FC] Product Liability

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Wed Mar 5 01:21:01 2003

This is typical of product liability suits.  If GM and Dana were not involved
then they wouldn't even consider going after you.  You are a very small fish
in the sea, but you are flanked on both sides by whales.  You can't get blood
out of a stone, but the other two have deep pockets and in the end, they will
decide that it is easier to pay something than to continue to fight.  I have
always found it interesting that if I buy a 40 year old airplane, that the
manufacturer is still liable for anything that happens to it as a result of
manufacturer defect.  However if I own a Corvair, then the total liability
issue is mute, because it is a car and the manufacturer no longer has any
responsibility.  If my Piper Cub engine leaks oil on the floor and I slip and
get hurt, I can sue the manufacturer.  When my Corvair leaks oil on the floor
and I slip, I have no recourse against the manufacturer.  Not that I would sue
in either event, but it is the unequal provisions of the law that I find hard
to understand....
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: The Source, Inc.
  To: corvanatics@corvair.org
  Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 1:12 AM
  Subject: [FC] Product Liability

  Strict Product Liability - Wrongful Death.

  I am still in federal court  - continued till May 2003
  for a mechanical fuel pump that ended up on a new aircraft engine
  note it was cataloged, advertised, and invoiced as automotive
  and the mfg. ID was removed, our ID was removed, the pump was modified
  internally
  it was mounted upside down, it was rigid mounted at flywheel, it driven
  at 1.6 times maximum rpm
  for 3 years and then sold to a new owner who promptly drove the aircraft
  into the ground shortening the airframe by 75%,  the pump was found in
  next field - diaphragms okay - both check valves broken ...
  The Plaintiffs have already settled  with the rest of the defendants for
  $ 3,700,000.00
  They want  $ 10,000,000.00
  I sold an automotive part, GM designed it - for a Corvair , Dana
  manufactured for a Corvair to GM specs - for me. The suit is beyond
  merit; thankfully GM & Dana are defending me.

  I was considering making some Quick Steering Arms
  but I am so tired and broke.

  Now do you think those cheap Third World reproductions  have liability
  insurance ?
  David  - Needed to VENT !

  Paul Steinberg wrote:

  >Product liability isn't much of a problem with a glove box hinge, but could
be a devastating problem if either of the items that you mention were to fail.
<snip>