[FC] Re: Trailer hitch for GB

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Fri May 9 16:00:01 2003

since you have a van that has had the top cut off of it, could you answer some
questions that I have about the removal of the top panel.  Is it welded on or
was it glued down?  Where is the seam..... at the edge of the rain gutter or
is the gutter put on after the roof panel?  My FC has a large hole in the roof
where someone made a pop top to put onto it.  I want to put it back to
original, but haven't decided how to best do this project.  They even cut the
bows out and they will have to be rewelded in before the roof is
installed..... thanks for any help that you can give me on this project.......
Paul in CT
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Michael E. Sweaney
  To: CORVANATICS
  Sent: Friday, May 09, 2003 1:36 PM
  Subject: [FC] Re: Trailer hitch for GB

  Bruce and all
  >Don't forget the engine - 164 inch FC case.  If you decide to sell some
  >stuff, don't forget to tell us where you are (city, state, country :-)
  When the guys dropped it off here and I saw it was a "64 I was excited
  because that is was I was hoping for.  Unfortunately the engine has been
  replaced with what I believe to be a "63 engine.  But it is an FC engine.
  won't really know until I get the thing out but I am pretty sure it is an
80
  HP engine.  It is a "W" engine.
  The way this happened is kind of a sad story.  I had an extremely dead "61
  Greenbrier in the back that I was cleaning parts off of and the only thing
  left was the body and that was it.  I had it hauled off and three weeks
  later a guy I know said that he and his friend wanted a steel top for an
old
  1930's F--D and had cut the roof off an old Corvan.  They didn't know
  anything about it other than it was a Corvan and wanted to know if I wanted
  to yank parts off before it got crushed.  Of course I said yes.  When it
  arrived it was a complete "64 van that would have been very restorable.
But
  the top was cut completely off.  I told them that if they had called me
  three weeks earlier they could have had the top off the GB.  That was the
  only thing on it that was good.  They cut up a somewhat rare van.  That's
  the way it goes sometimes.
  Now, if I can only keep the tornado's from getting it.  The one yesterday
  was about 2+ miles south of us.  The weather man says that mother nature
may
  try again today.
  Fraidy hole ready
  Michael E. Sweaney