[FC] Shifter problem

Paul Steinberg corvanatics@corvair.org
Wed May 19 22:48:01 2004

Where are you located?  I just learned today of a few FC's that are available
for parts inexpensively, including a early FC with 4 speed.  I believe that
the problem you are having might be caused by the transmission and / or the
engine mount.  If everything is renewed to be like original, they do work
well.  Paul in CT.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: chickwich@comcast.net
  To: Corvantics
  Cc: virtual vairs
  Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 3:21 PM
  Subject: [FC] Shifter problem

  Hey all,

         I have a early 63 3 speed Corvan  (long convoluted shifter).  The
problem is when I am working on it and starting it from the rear, it falls
into 1st gear.  After chasing it down the road once or twice, I now work on it
with the rear wheels in the air.  What is causing it to fall into gear?
         Also it is very difficult shifting into second gear.  Is this a
problem with the transmission or in the shifter/bushings.  What parts do I
need to order.
         If this is a problem inside the transmission, I do have a 4 speed
tranny from a van.  How much work is involved in the swap from an early van 3
sp to and early van 4 sp?  anyone who has "been there done that" feel free to
pipe up and give your opinion.

  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

  Chickwich@comcast.net
  Andy Hammond
  63 Mystery Machine hopefully on the road soon.