[FC] Re: clutch/diff

Clark Hartzel corvanatics@corvair.org
Tue Sep 7 10:02:01 2004

My comment about the 3.89 gear helping clutch chatter is that the "lower"
gear gets the vehicle moving quicker and you don't have to slip the clutch
so much to get the mass moving.
Several of my FC's had the remnants of the braces and rubber bumpers that
the factory added to the transmission crossmember to keep the chatter down
to a minimum but they had long ago rusted and broken off.
Powerglides in FC's work fine on the "flatlands" but if you are driving in
hilly areas they are not good.  The van was either "screaming" in low or
lugging down in high.  The constant gear shifting drove my wife nuts on our
Vermont tours.
Clark Hartzel

-----Original Message-----
From: corvanatics-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:corvanatics-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of galaxyflyer1
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 12:37 AM
To: corvanatics@corvair.org
Subject: [FC] Re: clutch/diff

Is there really a wide problem with clutch chatter?
When I first picked up my Brier it too had chatter but
I thought it was because of oil leaking on it. I was
able to burn it off by staying stationary (against the
curb) and slipping it. Anyway, I had to drop the
engine for rebuild and which I then purchased a
rebuilt clutch and pressure plate from the Corvair
Doctor. I also switched to a 3:27 ring and pinion gear
instead of the 3:89. I think 3:50 would have been
better though. I don't think that the gearing has
anything to do with chatter?, but it might interest
you. After all that, I am completely chatter free.
Good Luck,
Bob.
63 Greenbrier 110 4spd.