[FC] parking brake help

Paul Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 15 08:17:54 EDT 2005

If you only had the hand brake (more commonly known on old cars as the emergency brake and new cars as the parking brake), you did no harm to neither the engine, transmission, differantial, or the braking system.  The emergency, or parking brake only works the secondary brake shoe of the rear braking system.  You might have found that when you used the foot brake pedal that it required less effort to stop.  This is because the brake shoe was already closer to the brake drum surface than it normally is.  If you had the brake shoes properly adjusted and the parking / emergency brake pull lever set to the factory specification, you would have noticed this immediately.  My best guess is that the cables to the emergency brake are rusty and not releasing totally.  You might be well advised to check the complete braking system for proper function before going on your next trip.  Properly maintained, they will function as intended.  Improperly maintained, you can find yourself in trouble quite quickly.... Paul in CT...