[FC] dual exhaust

James Davis jld at wk.net
Thu Dec 8 16:01:03 EST 2005

Ok since you have some experience and perspective under an FC here
goes.  The cars mufflers are tucked along side the engine using valve
cover/muffler heat shields and muffler tail pipes that exit to the
side of the rear of the car  .  On the FC's, the mufflers are out at
the edge of the rear valence and exit almost straight to the
rear.  Thus, the car's right "U tube makes a 180 degree bend and the
FC's need a 165 degree bend to fit the FC muffler hanger.  The cars
right muffler hanger is 5 inches from the top bolt hole to the
closest side of the 6x9 oval muffler.  A look at the latest
Communique's Clark's add. shows the difference in exit angles.  On
the right side the FC muffler hanger/support is 14 inches from the
top bolt hole to the nearest corner of the six inch round
muffler.  The car "U" can be bent out (if heated) to fit the right
side.  The left side is worse.  My home made left hanger is 22 inches
from the top hole to the muffler.  The left side "U" tube must be
spaced out to get the correct angle to match the right.  Basically
you saw the "U" tube in half and insert a 6 inch piece of straight
pipe between the two "J" tubes.  Most six inch mufflers have a two
inch id inlet tube so pipe adapters and various tube extensions are needed.
     Common mufflers used for FC's are for the Chrysler "K" car and
the Ford Granada.  Any muffler shop will have many suitable mufflers
in the six inch dia and 14 to 18 inches in length.  Unlike the car
there is lots of room under an FC for a long muffler.
      If you are planning to put duals on an engine with the small
exhaust manifolds, the larger 1.75 inch 140 "U" pipes won't fit
properly.   Venders do sell the 1.5 inch "U" tubes for the
80/98/102/95/110 engines.
Jim Davis