[FC] Just a few questions

James Davis corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Jan 23 12:58:00 2005

I agree with Ken.  Using the 64 car engine mount bracket or a 61/63 bracket
for an AC car is required for the mount to clear the harmonic
balancer.  This moves the slot for the rear motor mount back by 1.5 inches;
necessitating cutting and re-welding the motor mount hanger which is welded
to the FC's rear frame (engine box).  Failure to do this will move the
engine forward and this will throw the rear toe off.  It will also stress
the front transaxle mounts causing them to separate.  Most people use the
61/63 crank pulley and the standard engine mount adapter, but as Ken states
you run the risk of breaking the crank.

  I can't imagine why increasing the displacement by 5.2 cuin would effect
the engine cooling.  FC's typically have an oil temperature problem not a
cylinder head temperature problem.

OK about transmission/differentials.  The only differential difference in
comparing a 61/63 and a 64 (for a 3/4-sp) is the two tapped holes in the
bottom for the leaf spring and the provision for a dipstick.  There are two
distinctly different 1964 4-sps.  The 64 FC transmission retains the 3.60
first gear of the 61/63 car transmissions but uses the 14 spline input
shaft of the 64/64 car transmissions. The 64 car transmission has the same
14 spline input shaft but has a 3.20 first gear which is a distinct
disadvantage in a heavy FC.  All 61/63 4-sp have a 12 spline input
shaft  All have the 3.60 first gear except for a few 61 Rampsides which
came with the 4.26 first gear (the perfect FC transmission). The 65/65
transmission has a slightly stronger input shaft and gears.  Also note the
front transaxle cross member is different in cars and FC's thus a 64
transmission of any sort requires a FC manual crossmember.  Late 63 through
FC use a different cross member than the 61/early 63's, relocating the
clutch cable higher.
Jim Davis