[FC] Just a few questions

Vern McIntosh corvanatics@corvair.org
Sun Jan 23 14:23:02 2005

Scott and list,

I'm going to disagree with both Jim and Ken on this one, the problem is not
nearly as serious as they make it to be. I have four '64 FCs, all came from
the factory with 110 engines and harmonic balancers (as did almost every '64
FC I've ever seen). You are not doing anything that wasn't very standard by
GM.

The stock '64 FC brackets have 1/8 inch (that's one-eighth of an inch) of
'extra' room to put the belt around the harmonic balancer, and it works just
fine, the simple factory solution.

If you can't find a '64 FC bracket, then add ONE washer (on each of the 4
bolts, of course) under the 'flat' early FC bracket to get the 1/8 inch of
room, hardly a problem in any sense.

The early A/C & '64 car bracket gives one-and-a-quarter inch of extra room,
more than an inch than necessary to fit the belt around the balancer. Use
that bracket (and deal with the difficulties as detailed by Jim) only if you
are adding a second pulley, say for A/C. For '64 cars GM even provided a
matching '64 mount, which offsets the vertical bolt by half-an-inch toward
the bumper in order to deal with some of that geometry.

Vern McIntosh
Bend, Oregon

Ken wrote:

>    The only reason to change the rear engine mount is to clear the
Harmonic
>balancer, that can be done by putting washers between the mount and the
rear
>housing. You just need room to get the belt through there. If you want the
>correct mount, then all you need is any early AC car mount or a 64,110
mount. >The only problem I can see with that is you may not have enough
adjustment in >the slot.