[FC] More ? for the masters; 90 weight leak

Wild8bill at aol.com Wild8bill at aol.com
Tue Nov 8 00:10:09 EST 2005

Before I randomly start "fixing" things, I need to get someone's two cents
worth of info. I have a gear oil leak that appears to be between the
differential and the clutch (4 speed mated to former powerglide motor). It seams to be
from the lower half or bottom of the connection. I'm under the impression that
the differential is a "bath-tub" with no way for the 90 weight to reach a
joint. Also, possibly related, after the truck gets hot, when going up a steep hill
or accelerating fast, the motor will race and the speed decreases or stays
the same (like an automatic thats slipping). Other symptoms: hole plug above
clutch cable inlet is missing; there is small amount of oil in the clutch inlet;
no 90 weight leaks from filler bolt or top plate; no dripping until it's
warmed up, stops after a few minutes when parked, but really comes out when first
parked (18" round puddle). I need to get someone to watch it, because I don't
know if it's only dripping when I depress the clutch, or all the time. At the
rate it comes out, I would think the differential would be dry, and that there
would be a trail going down the street, but there is still oil left (but
less), and the only noticeable drips are where I parallel park. Any suggestions?