[FC] problem left rear signal light....

Bill Wells brierpath at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 11 09:50:38 EDT 2006

Merv,

  Get your test light out and let's go. Start at the fuse in the fuse block. Your probe should light when the key is on. Next check the purple wire into your directional switch. If no light here, check the flasher and its sockets. I have had issues here before.
  If you have power at the purple wire, next check the dark green at the switch. This of course assumes you have the directional arm in its proper place. Try wiggling it if you can't get the test light lit on the dark green wire.
  Once you get a light on the green wire, move back to the engine compartment and probe the dark green wire on the engine harness. This is where most of my problems occur. If probe lights here, check at the connector to the taillight. After that, the socket and the ground are suspect.
  I skipped the main body harness, as it has given me no problems before.

  Good Luck,
  Bill Wells

Merv Krull <krupross at sunwave.net> wrote:
  Hi all!

Looking at the diring wiregram in my handy dandy manual for 64 I have no solid conviction that I can fully figure out the electrical pathway for the left rear signal on the 700 sedan.

I think I am looking for the 20 ga. dark green wire coming from the signal switch, through a terminal, through the firewall, through another terminal, and on to the left turnsignal lamp.

The housing is grounded and the bulb socket functions perfect.

I have no flashing from the engine bay terminal on the DG wire.

If I cannot get flashing from the switch itself, where do I go next with the tester? Or is it time for a new switch ...?

BTW, the new Greenbrier turnsignal switch appears to work fine.

thanx!
Merv Krull
Salmon Arm, BC