[FC] Heater smell (stink?)

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Wed Dec 6 19:00:29 EST 2006

Hello Ben,

Oil smell from leaks--as in drops of oil burning off a hot surface--tend
not to come and go but instead linger as the oil slowly vaporizes and
decomposes.  I also cannot think of any correlation between leak rate and
acceleration, other than that the exhaust temperature will surely rise when
the engine is under load.  This would make me think that oil is getting on
the exhaust system further down stream toward the muffler rather than the
manifolds (which are pretty hot all the time).  If this were the case the
engine may not be the source of oil; check for leaks from the differential
and transmission.

Another source of oil smell that would strongly correlate to engine load
yet go away quickly at cruise is crankcase vapors; greater engine
load=greater blow-by.  In this case you should check the PCV system (or
road draft tube if yours is an earlier engine).  Make sure the PCV valve is
working properly, all of the hoses are connected and in good shape, and
that the pipe leading to the engine top cover is not blocked with sludge.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI