[FC] vacuum advance question

Wild8bill at aol.com Wild8bill at aol.com
Sun Dec 10 03:11:11 EST 2006

After setting the timing using a timing light, I noticed that when I rev  the
engine that the timing retards very far very fast (from 14 btdc to -4 btdc),
and kind of "catches up" to where it should be over a few seconds. The
vacuum advance appears to move instantaneously, however. If you give it too much
gas too fast, it dies. Is this a symptom of a bad vacuum advance, or bad
vacuum?  Yes, I did check for vac leaks.

Note: thanks to everyone for the ideas about the electric fuel pump, new
pump is on and fixed the problem.

Bill
'61 rampside
'63 greenbrier