[FC] vacuum advance question

Garry Parsley geparsley at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 10 11:51:43 EST 2006

Bill,
  Did you recently rebuild, or have the distributer rebuilt? If so, it's very easy to install the cam lobe part (I forget the correct name at this point) 180 degrees off, which reverses the mechanical weights causing retard instead of advence. Everything looks good - but it ain't! Don't ask me how I know this! That one was a three week learning, I mean training,  experience.

  Garry Parsley
  '65 Brier

Wild8bill at aol.com wrote:
  After setting the timing using a timing light, I noticed that when I rev the
engine that the timing retards very far very fast (from 14 btdc to -4 btdc),
and kind of "catches up" to where it should be over a few seconds. The
vacuum advance appears to move instantaneously, however. If you give it too much
gas too fast, it dies. Is this a symptom of a bad vacuum advance, or bad
vacuum? Yes, I did check for vac leaks.

Note: thanks to everyone for the ideas about the electric fuel pump, new
pump is on and fixed the problem.

Bill
'61 rampside
'63 greenbrier