[FC] Greenbrier Alignment Settings?

Vern in Bend vernmcintosh at eoni.com
Thu Feb 22 12:58:24 EST 2007

Mike wrote,

> This brings me to a question that's been troubling me for some time and
may
> require a more drastic approach to camber adjustment.  The Westbrier with
> its 17" wheels ate the inside of the back tires rather quickly.  This
would
> tell me that I need to raise it up right?  It already sits with quite a
> severe rake as the front has been lowered but the rear remains stock.  I
> would like to lower the rear and fix the camber.
> Am I asking too much?
> Is the stock height problem do to the wider wheels?
> Is there any drastic fixes like cutting frames or making a "camber kit"
> Thanks
> Mike Weirmier
> Westbrier / Lakewood

Perhaps a toe-in/toe-out issue rather than camber?

After 'adjusting' the camber on my '64 Corvan by cutting the springs, I
accepted the wear on the outer edges of of the rear tires as 'normal'
without giving it much thought - for 20 years. I turned the tires around on
the rims every year or two to allow them to wear the opposite edges and get
reasonable life out of them.

Then I bought my '64 Rampside. The pickup's rear height was just right -
slight positive camber - perhaps because it was a hard-working commercial
truck in its first life and the springs had sagged. But, the rear tires had
even wear, even though the tread was about 30-40% worn away.

So, I checked the toe shim combination on the pickup and changed the shims
on the Corvan to be the same. Walla! - no more uneven wear for 10 years now.
I have no idea what the actual alignment specs were or are now.

Not really a perspective on wide rim/tires, but perhaps useful.

Vern McIntosh
Bend, Oregon