[FC] steering squeak

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Fri Jun 15 10:18:48 EDT 2007

 ??? I would look at the triangle piece of metal that is sandwiched in the floor seams. This is a brace for the steering box. I have seen the spot welds come loose and this piece will move in between the others. If you lie under the FC and look up to the gear box you will see this next to the floor. If you have someone move the steering wheel while you look up at this you will see what is moving.
??? The cure is to either re-spot weld, or the easy way, is to bolt the pieces together. Remove the inside floor covering and drill through the seam in three places, two for sure, and then bolt together. This worked on my 63 FC for over a 100,000 miles!

Ken Hand
Handy Car Care
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com