[FC] Harmonic balancers....

James Davis jld at wk.net
Sat Jun 30 10:58:53 EDT 2007

More info to add to Bob's comments.  The maximum rotational vibration
of the 2.6 inch stroke crank is listed in SAE140C as 0.5 deg @ 4,400
rpm (the sixth harmonic of the cranks resonance frequency).  The
longer stroke 2 and 15/16 inch crank has a greater rotational
vibration with a greater amplitude at a lower rpm due to its
increased mass, less rigidity, and input pulse intensity (more
torque).  I have no specifics on just what the maximum stress might
be, but using some rough guessing I would estimate the sixth harmonic
of the long stroke crank to be 0.67 degrees @ 3,900 rpm..  So if you
never exceed 3,200 rpm with a long stroke engine you should stay in
what GM considered the safe operation zone for engines without a
harmonic damper.
Jim Davis