[FC] Diagnostic confirmation needed

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue May 1 13:55:45 EDT 2007

> > My belief is that #2 cylinder is the offender. No difference when that plug wire is pulled ... I haven't done a compression test yet, but ...

You could have done the compression test in the time you spent sending the email -- it would certainly answer a lot of questions, like is a carb rebuild really necessary?

Write back when you have some actual information about the problem, since you already had the plugs out once upon a time, it would seem to many of us that that would have been the time to screw in the compression gauge -- dropped valve seats generally show up as a near zero, and if you get a near zero on a compression test, then you start pulling the engine. The type of pistons you have is relatively irrevalent if you don't have valve seats (which occasionally can "drop" back into place -- never had that happen on a 140 though).

First, listen to what it sounds like while you crank it over with the coil wire pulled --  that rrr, rrr, rrr, rrr, whoof, rrr sound is almost as good as a compression test with a gauge.

Bill Stricland