[FC] engine cover - fastener talk

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 29 13:08:46 EST 2008

>... not one suggestion for S/S Robertson Button Head Bolts.  That's "square" for you 'mericans.

Robertsons are regional and industry specific in the US -- you can find
them everywhere, finally, *if* you want them (and bits to turn them,
too), but, like button head Allens, too much torque or frequent usage
will strip them out, the bit being small relative to the thread size.
[If you want to use Allens, get socket head "grade 9", if they come in
screws.] Thus, the Torx, designed for greater torque and more frequent
reuse, ala engine covers -- Robertsons are basically for install once
and leave 'em usage.  Granted, for non-magnetic stainless screws, they
do hang on a bit pretty good.

They seem most common in Mid-West trailer/mh manufacturing, some
electircal contractors use them, and there are some really handy
flathead Robertson wood finish screws, oh yeah, and stuff from Canada --
ViseGrips'll turn 'em all! (a wood chisel will get the ViseGrips to that
recessed flathead)

I've tried 'em (with hardened bits), I don't like their failure rate
upon reuse.

Bill Strickland