[FC] Couple of questions

Ken Hand vairmech at aol.com
Sun Jun 1 08:46:41 EDT 2008

 ??? As has been said the top engine baffle plate can only be installed one way. If you want to do it right the first time look at the way the engine rotates, the flat side goes down and the openings go away from the direction of rotation. Think of it as the crank trying to throw oil into the top baffle, that is NOT what you want, you want to keep oil out The gaskets are also asymmetrical but they will go on in two directions only.

??? I would do the compression test before you put things together, If you are getting lots of oil out the breather tube there might be other things wrong also.

??? If you decide to put things together, a thin film of RTV, silicone, does wonders. Also get the split lock washers for under the heads of the bolts then the flat washer. Snug things down to where the lock washer is just compressed and leave it set over night then finish tightening the bolts the next morning. That should get you a leak free gaskets for a long time.

??? As far as u-joints, there are u-joints and then there is "Brute Force". All the other greaseable ones I have either broken or worn out. I have yet to wear out or break a "Brute Force" u-joint, even on my race car They are a bit more expensive but well worth the money The u-joints are the older standard chevy size and can be gotten at your local NAPA, Autozone, Advance Auto, etc. Not sure about the Brute Force at NAPA though.

If you really need to use the greaseable ones then make sure that you put the grease fitting so when the differential is driving the yoke you are compressing the grease fitting, not trying to open it up. It takes a little thinking but you won't break a u-joint that way.

Ken Hand
248-613-8586
www.corvairmechanic.com