[FC] Gas tank removal

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 3 14:16:30 EST 2008

Gas tank removal is pretty straight forward -- loosen/remove what you
need to to take it out -- a full tank is heavy whereas an empty tank is
less so --  if you have to drain the tank, DO NOT use an incandescent
drop light anywhere in the vicinity - dropped "drop" lights have started
many serious gasoline fires during such maneuvers - the gas fumes lay on
the floor.  If you have to see, use a flashlight.

Generally, if so equipped, you just need to remove the inner stabilizer
supports and tip the bar downward to get tanks out -- take your choice
as to which you find easier, full removal of the bar, or tipping and
holding it out of the way.  Yes. the clamps can be a pain, but a little
intelligent use of  proper tools can make the clamps easier to deal with
-- I like the worm screw clamps best for this, if'n ya ain't got a case
of 100 point itis.  1960's will let you put the filler pipe on the tank
first and then put the assembly in the car -- cavecars rule!
(unfortunately, I don't think this is an option on FC's)

The vendors have a softer filler neck hose available that some think
makes tank reinstallation easier, and it probably does, but real fuel
hose (stiff) would be (and is) my preference for this critical safety
related part.

Bill Strickland