[FC] Rampy progress

Andrew Sego andrew_sego at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 12:55:03 EDT 2008

It won't shift when the engine is running because the clutch is not completely disengaged.  You need to adjust the clutch cable.  FC clutch adjustments are finnicky at best.  Make sure the cable hold downs are all tight so the housing can't move and flex.  Also I've found that if you adjusted the cable per the manual, you still need to remove another turn or two of slack where the cable meets the rod.  Also make sure the pin in the shifter coupler is in good shape or replace it.  You might have to redrill the coupler and make an oversize pin for it to take up the slop.

I bought a 63 Corvan a year ago and I got it cheap for this very reason.  PO bought it and drove it for less than a week.  He said it wouldnt shift into gear so the tranny was bad.  Next he gets his VW "mechanic" friend to take the transxle out to "fix it"  Of course he never finished it.  When I bought it the transaxle was sittin in the front floor.  After checking out the tranny I put it all back together and adjusted the clutch per the manual.  It did the same thing you and the PO of my van described.  I took another turn or two out of the cable and all has been well.    PO paid $3000 for the van.  I gave him $500!  Pretty expensive clutch adjustment.