[FC] horn & signals

wern3 at juno.com wern3 at juno.com
Wed Apr 21 08:43:52 EDT 2010

I took apart the horn pieces on my '61 Rampy again last night. I rigged up a 12V lightbulb with long wires from the plastic clip under the front end and another wire to ground on the frame so I could see the results from the drivers seat. As soon as I re- connected the truck  battery, the bulb lit up showing continuous power to the horn wire. When I removed the cup and the belleville washer the bulb went out. I looked at the belleville washer and one side has spray paint on it leftover from when i painted the steering wheel. I cleaned up the washer again and re- assembled it with the "dish" of the washer facing downward. This gave me the light bulb on all the time. I removed it and flipped it over and reassembled the washer and  horn cup again, being careful to get the insulating plastic ring through the holes in the horn cup. This finally worked so that the horn is "on" when the cup is depressed and "Off" when it pops up. I learned a few things.
1.The assembly manual does not show which side of the belleville washer goes up or down, you must experiment if you did not take note when you removed it.
2. The 3 screws attaching the horn cup to the steering wheel are clutch - head screws, VERY fine thread with 5 MM of unthreaded points on the end. To remove them, I had to resort to a kit I have with several sizes of square - drive bits intended for drywall screws to remove the clutch - head screws,& use the smallest size.
3 the cup under the horn button can be installed without the insulating nylon washers in proper position, you may tape in place prior to assembly if it helps.
Tim '61 Rampy almost ready for car show season.
PS why is it almost impossible to get the fan belt out of my 140 engine between the flywheel/harmonic balancer and the rear motor mount?