[FC] 1964 Greenbrier Questions

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Sun Aug 8 14:59:50 EDT 2010

Hello Jonathan,

None of the FCs come with the transverse spring the cars  had.  This
includes the 1964 and 1965 models.  The 1965 Greenies do  not have the LM
suspension either.  (There were no Rampsides or vans and  very few Greenies in
1965.)  Also, the car transverse spring cannot be  retrofitted to an FC because
the FC is wider than a car.  However, there  was an aftermarket transverse
spring available for the FC but good luck finding  one.

FC handling was similar to the VW bus of the same era.   However, the VW
was grossly underpowered .... as low as 36 HP if memory serves  me.  Our FCs
are only minimally underpowered.  Of course, this depends  on which engine
you have (80 to 110 HP) and how heavily loaded the FC is.   Amazingly, these
vehicles are rated close to 3/4 ton and a 145/164 CI engine  might not be
adequate.  Of course, most people do not use the FCs for heavy  hauling these
days.  Major hill climbs are not kind to the FC  engines.

You will be sitting over the front wheels which will feel odd  until you
get used to it.  Hopefully, you are not prone to  seasickness.  Technically,
the vehicle is not bouncing more than more  traditional vans, it is just your
position that makes you feel the bouncing more  than if you were sitting
somewhat to the rear of the front wheels instead of  over them.  From a
perspective of aerodynamics, the FC has been referred to  as a barn door traveling
down the highway.  At lower speeds, this isn't a  problem but do not expect
decent MPG or acceleration at higher speeds like your  cars.  I know that
things can get gusty in MN so you should be aware that  the FC presents a
large surface to side winds and can wander due to this.   You will need to slow
down and pay attention in windy conditions.  Next,  the FC has a higher
center of gravity than the cars so you do not want to take  corners or curves
at high speed especially if there is a side wind in the wrong  direction.

I do not want to scare you away from the enjoyment you may get  from your
target Greenie.  Most of the issues I mention will have little  consequence
once you get a few miles under your belt especially if you realize  the FC
isn't a rally racer.  Some people drive that way no matter what  vehicle they
are in.

Yes, floorboards need to be checked for rust.  The bottom  of the doors are
major areas for rust as well especially the lower front area of  the front
doors.  Because MN uses salt on the roads in the winter and MN  winters last
for 10 months a year, all areas should be checked for rust or  bondo.
Bring a magnet.  As with most vehicles, the areas around the  windshield are
critical.  I don't think there is a chapter around Fergus  Falls where the
Greenbrier is but if you live anywhere close to a CORSA chapter,  you should
join.  No doubt, you will find someone who knows FCs in the club  who may be
willing to check out the vehicle with you.

I strongly recommend that you do not bid on it unless you  check it out
first or at least have someone you trust check it out for  you.  Remember that
it is being sold "as-is" which means that you have  little or no recourse if
you find some unpleasant surprises.   Certainly, you would have no recourse
through eBay.  The seller makes no  claims other than the engine runs.
Everything else is on you as far as  eBay is concerned and unless MN has some
consumer protection regulations the  dealership violates, you could be out of
luck.

Good luck,

Doc

1960 Corvette, 1961 Rampside, 1962 Rampside, 1964 Spyder  coupe, 1965
Greenbrier, 1966 Canadian Corsa turbo coupe, 1967 Nova SS, 1968  Camaro ragtop

In a message dated 8/8/2010 9:00:05 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,