[FC] Phone Co 1963 Corvair Rampside

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 10 13:48:23 EST 2010

Okay, maybe I'm off base here, but someone at least has noticed part of
this -- the relief for a 164 crank in Harry's nice clean engine case.

Has anyone looked for the matching relief in the other case half?

Didn't think so -- I don't see it -- Harry, you need a different motor
to rebuild.  Not only is this motor assembled with cylinder barrels from
different years, making one wonder just how they got the head gaskets to
seal, but the two case halves do not match, and I can't imagine anyone
doing an align boring on mismatched cases.

And that bell housing bolt that was rubbing the flywheel -- in the pic
it doesn't look to me like it is a regular hex headed bolt, which is
required to have proper clearance (as you have noted) -- was it actually
loose?  Why don't I see the points of the hex head?

Looks like a great project, but let's get this off on the right foot,
please ~ sorry to be the purveyor of bad news, but I'd rather do it now
than have you find this all out later.

Bill Strickland