[FC] Front suspension differences

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Wed Sep 8 10:36:59 EDT 2010

Hello Andrew,

At 19:57 9/06/2010 -0700, Andrew Sego wrote:
>I'm starting a new 61 Rampside project. I recently parted out a 64 Rampside
>because the body was just to far gone.  I have the 110 FC engine and both
>suspensions out.  I'd like to rebuilt the suspensions from the 64 and swap
>them
>into the 61 later on.  I've read that early FC's used station wagon based
>parts
>and later ones used C10 truck parts.  I have a few questions about my
>proposed
>swap.

The FC front suspension and brakes used a lot of parts common to the full
sized 59-60 Chevrolet and Corvette--some of these parts are probably also
shared with the 1/2 ton truck.  The ball joints, suspension bushings, A-arm
shafts, brake cylinders and drums were all the same '61-'65.  The boomerang
arm and idler arm were unique to the FC. Don't throw any of these away
because, with some engineering, they are rebuildable.  For some reason the
'65 FC steering tie rods ends were different from the '61-'64.  I seem to
remember also that the steering relay rod had different hole sizes to
accept the different rod ends.

>When exactly was the switch?  Is it when they went to floor shift and hole
>thru
>the tank?

Yes, only the front crossmember of the late '63-'65 FC was modified from
the '61-early '63 design: 1) holes for mounting the (mystery) shift lever
pivot were eliminated, 2) a notch (dent) was stamped into the top of the
center section for clearance of the (though the tank) shift rod.

>Is one design better or stronger than the other?  I'd guess the C10 style
>parts
>are easier and/or cheaper to find.

 From a functional and strength standpoint, all of the FC front suspensions
are the same.  They are actually pretty robust and can take quite a bit of
abuse.

>Do they swap out either way?  (early in late or late into an early) I've
>noticed
>a notch on the top center of the 64 crossmember for shifter clearance.  Does
>that make it like gas tanks where you can put a late in an early but not the
>other way around?

The early style crossmember can be used in any FC early or late with a PG
transmission.  You will need to use the late style crossmember (or modify
the early style) to fit the late design shifter.  Many people have
installed the late MT shift assembly in early FC's as you are apparently
interested in doing.  In addition to the late front suspension crossmember
you will also want to cut out the reinforced section of the front floor
where the shifter mounts and splice it into the floor of your early FC.

Although I would advocate supporting our Corvair vendors, most of the front
(and some rear) suspension and brake parts are readily available at your
FLAPS.  Just look under the listings for either Corvair 95 or R1200 series
trucks.  I recently able to purchase from my FLAPS a set of new, made in
USA, Bremo brake drums for our Greenbrier.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI