[FC] Steering Wheel & Moving a car

Rad Davis corvair at sent.com
Wed Sep 8 22:04:22 EDT 2010

  I would say two things about an FC steering wheel:

1.  It really shouldn't be any smaller than the stock standard wheel,
especially if you're considering tires any wider than the stock 7".
Lack of power steering in a 3/4 ton truck requires a certain minimum
amount of leverage.  Sooner or later you will have to back and fill on
hot pavement, parallel park with a loaded vehicle, or some other
evolution that will require all the effort you can muster.  The smallest
diameter I would consider would be the '64 deluxe steering wheel, which
probably does allow a little more room for thighs and a belly because of
its more prominent dish.  I'm guessing that wheel is a generic GM part
from something else, so be sure to cross the part number, rather than
waiting for a '64 deluxe Greenbrier wheel to appear -they're not a lot
commoner than '65 'brier horn rings.

2. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the plain-jane round horn
button the non-deluxe models came with, and it should plug right into
the existing wheel on your '65.  Even if it doesn't, a standard '61-63
FC steering wheel will do the trick  One should be quite easy to come by
for cheap..

I'm not sure, but I think that you have a wide selection of GM truck
steering wheels to shop through.  Most of them will be big enough,
because power steering was quite rare on utility vehicles in those days.