[FC] BB gas heater tested

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Thu Sep 9 11:48:17 EDT 2010

the worst failure i had with a gas heater was the failure of the little
rubber button that shuts off the gas when no voltage at solenoid.nothing more
exciting than an out of control gas heater on an FC, it puts on quite a
display  of heat and smoke from the front grille!
 the NOS rubber parts kits  i had were very hard from age ,  the new one
from Clark's kit was much softer and sealed ok.  my back does  not like R&R
ing the FC units any more..
also there is a very small (3/8 inch?) fine screen under the brass inlet
fitting that plugs up.
i put one in a school bus with a wall thermostat and electric pump with 3lb
 regulator that heated the bus just fine.
on mine , i made cables up to use a stock heater control by the steering
column because i needed the space under the radio for ham stuff.
i would miss my gas heaters!.     i bought a few  exhaust pipes for FC's
years ago so i could take pictures or measure if needed.  i also (somewhere!)
have the installation instructions scanned into the  computers.
i think all of this was posted on thomas  stingls web picture site  years
ago.
i will attempt (in my spare? time) to put more of this type stuff together
for the CNYCC   _www.cnycorvair_ (http://www.cnycorvair)   website soon.
extremely busy at the moment.
regards, tim colson    with cozy warm  corvairs.