[FC] '61 Rampside

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Fri Jan 7 19:51:38 EST 2011

i would  not even consider using a late transaxle in an FC. i type  with
one finger , so the long correct explanation is not for tonight.
you will prefer 3:27 or maybe a 3:55 with a 4 spd if you are using any 164
cu inch motor. you need an early  (61-64) differential.powerglide 3:55
works good also. i have done it all , and can tell you that axle universal
joint dust shields will rub on the housing , axles WILL bind against the
carrier  , and using 1/4 inch spacers between backing plates and control arms
"kinda  works" but is not the hot setup. the only reason i tried it was i had
some  original very low miles late units here  going to waste. the other
issue:  no speedo teeth on the pinion shaft in lates, so you cant even  drill
the case and install a gear. i ran this setup in my rampy for a year ,  then
replaced it with a correct FC unit.
motor mount sounds like a spacer might be missing at the transmission.
people seem to loose them...
i think there a lot of pictures of my past work on the web picture  site
_http://www.corvair.de/n2vzd/_ (http://www.corvair.de/n2vzd/)
or at the club website  _http://www.cnycorvair.com/CNYCorvair.php_
(http://www.cnycorvair.com/CNYCorvair.php)

if you need more info , i can send other pictures or scans from the
assembly manual further proving my point.
again , this is stuff i have DONE , not dreamed of.  more?  send  me a
request.
i will be glad to tell you how i would recommend doing it, so it will do
what you want.
110 car motor would be fine , but you need 65 back tranny , 64 back (prefer
 FC) differential. at best , you will want to study the speedo  gear info
out there.  start with clark's catalog  at speed gear parts  page.
regards, tim colson

In a message dated 1/7/2011 6:02:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,