[FC] intermittent engine

wern3 at juno.com wern3 at juno.com
Mon Nov 28 08:29:50 EST 2011

When i had this issue last summer, I fixed it by replacing the coil. In retrospect, I should have simply tightened the two low - voltage leads to the coil, as they were both finger - loose.  I only had <500 miles on the engine, so i must assume that it was the loose wires & not a bad coil. I already had an extra coil though and so placed it into service with not a hiccup since. I have a new wiring harness for inside the engine compartment but have been waiting until i solve the "red gen light" issue before i install it. BTW is there a special resistor wire amongst the 4 small wires that connect the alternator to the voltage regulator? I have replaced all the old ones with new, but they are all standard copper wires;-  not resistor wire.   I boiught a multitester but the thing does not register anything on any leads i suspect that I have misread the manual or else it is defective. Once I can get some under - hood readings from a working multitester I will write more about the mysterious red light.Tim '61 Rampy 140 - 4 spd