[FC] Brake Light Question

Bill & Chris Strickland lechevrier at q.com
Tue Mar 20 14:13:57 EDT 2012

On 3/19/2012 9:00 AM, corvanatics-request at corvair.org wrote:
> I agree that if the "running" (we used to call them parking) lights
> work in the back that would indicate there is no problem with grounding the
> circuit.

That "should" be the case, but ...

I have seen instances where the tail light circuit is not grounded
adequately, and actually back feeds through the brake / turn signal
filament sufficiently to light the park filament.
1)(I do not know where / how this back current reaches ground -- never
felt it was nearly as important as fixing the real problem, so have
never traced it down.)
2)(the reverse is not true as the brake / turn filament has a much
higher current draw.)

The moral: One always wants to check the grounds when one has tail /
brake / turn light irregularities, both the housing, and the connection
between the socket and the housing.  And check the bulb, then the
fuses.  THEN worry ...

Bill Strickland