[FC] diff rebuild

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Thu May 23 09:23:02 EDT 2013

Hello Tim,

The plastic gear can be replaced on the spindle but if I recall
correctly, it is retained by a crimped on ring (like a single use snap
ring).  You will have to remove the spindle to replace the gear.  The
spindle is mostly held in place by friction of an O-ring seal. The
retainer clip and bolt simply keep it from falling out.  Of course,
yours is stuck either by hardened grease or [heaven forbid] rust.  Apply
some penetrating solvent then try prying against it or lightly tapping
it out with a block of wood. You will need to have the spindle out of
the way when it comes to installing the pinion shaft.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI