[SCG] RE: Interior Color Code on Trim Plate - 1964

Bill Hubbell whubbell at umich.edu
Thu Aug 2 11:35:54 EDT 2007

Dale (with cc to SCG-list)

Thanks for sending the photo of your Fisher Body Tag.  It is a 10D tag - I
had been missing that one from my on-line database and have added it.

You can view the entire database here:
http://rides.webshots.com/album/552937869fLgqrp

As you can see from viewing the photos, Fisher body used three different
styles of tags in 1964, and it currently looks like your 10D is the last
week of the 1st style, although the only tag we have for the 5th week of
October (we think) is an odd plate with an 0E designation (instead of 10E)
that is also missing the year designation in the "STYLE" section.  So we are
still looking for other tags from the 5th week of October 1964 that might
shed more light on this mystery.

The change in location of the interior paint code occurred along with the
change in the body plate.  Who knows why they changed it?

The Trim code number only referred to the upholstery color, whereas the
letter code refers to the interior paint color.  The two codes were probably
used because not all cars have the same color for both - for instance, you
could get white upholstery with a red paint interior:

Trim Code 727 = Ivory Imitation Leather

Paint Code Q  = Ivory for all but steering wheel hub and dash.

Even when the codes seem to refer to the same color, they really mean
different things - one is for the vinyl (or cloth, if 700), the other for
the paint.  Additionally, the trim codes specify the type of seat, which
varied according to the model of the car (500/700/900), although the
interior paint codes remained the same:

Hence, for an Aqua Interior:

Trim Level

Trim Code

Trim Description

Paint Code

500

720

Metallic Med. Aqua Imitation Leather - Bench Seat

700

751

Med. Aqua Scotia Cloth/Metallic Med. Imitation Leather - Bench Seat

900

755

Metallic Med. Aqua Imitation Leather - Bucket Seat

Please send me the photos of the air cleaners, engine number, etc.

Thanks!

Bill

  _____