[SCG] 1966 close to stock windshield

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 24 10:14:53 EDT 2008

Seems to me that ALL factory windshields were either solid clear or tinted
AND shaded. I know I've never seen any option listed for a "shaded only"
windshield. That was probably only available on aftermarket-supplied
windshields.

A NOS Corvair (branded LOF) windshield would be a find. I imagine there are
some out there buried in a warehouse or back of some dealer's parts room
somewhere. The next option is to find a good one out of a donor car. That
would be one way of possibly getting the right date code, if one were that
fussy. It would also take a degree of scouting around, depending upon how
fussy one is about date codes and condition.

As far as "stock" goes, if all you are entering in is CORSA concours, then
the brand of windshield wouldn't matter, and neither would date codes or
body tag info. CORSA concours would only want to see that it was tinted and
shaded properly. The rest of it would be strictly a matter of owner pride.

-Mark

for my 66 turbo convertible when the time comes in my restoration stage
process.  I would assume the original LOF stamping is no longer available,
or is it?  And, since I do not have a body code of W (tinted windshield
only) or E (tinted glass all), I assume I can still go shaded to be stock.
Or, are all windshield replacements now tinted and shaded only?    All
comments are welcome.