[SCG] Do you have a 64 vair with only 1 installed seatbelt fromthe factory?

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sat Jul 12 23:23:58 EDT 2014

Interesting. The link was to an article about Nader's book, Unsafe at
Any Speed,  that DOES NOT mention the Corvair .

I swear the writing in Virginia State Police code has changed since the
80's. Back then seat belts were required if the car was made after
January 1, 1963. I remember arguing with an inspector over a 63 Corvair
convertible that did NOT have factory installed front belts. I lost and
had to remove the factory rubber plugs and install seat belts. Now the
code reads:

3. Any 1963 and subsequent model vehicle, designed and licensed
primarily for private passenger use, is not equipped with adult safety
lap belts for at least two front seats or a combination of lap belts and
shoulder straps or harnesses.

4. Any passenger car manufactured on or after January 1, 1968, is not
equipped with lap/shoulder or harness seat belt assemblies located at
the front outboard designated seating positions (except in convertibles)
and lap seat belt assemblies located at all other designated seating
positions.

5. Any convertible passenger car manufactured on or after January 1,
1968, does not have a lap seat belt assembly for each designated seating
position.

6. Any passenger car manufactured on or after December 11, 1989, (except
convertibles) not equipped with lap/shoulder seat belt assemblies
located at all forward facing rear outboard designated seating positions.

a. Any passenger car manufactured on or after September 1, 1991,
(including convertibles) is not equipped with a lap/shoulder seatbelt
assembly located at all forward facing rear outboard designated seating
positions.

b. Any truck, multipurpose vehicle, or bus (except school buses and
motor homes) with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,000 pounds
or less, manufactured on or after September 1, 1991, is not equipped
with a lap/shoulder seatbelt assembly at all forward facing rear
outboard designated seating positions.

c. Any of the heretofore described vehicles manufactured on or after
September 1, 1992, are not equipped with lap/shoulder seatbelt assembly
located at all forward facing rear outboard designated seating positions
on a readily removable seat.

Frank DuVal