[SCG] When did belt guards appear on 1964 Corvairs?

William Hubbell wjhubbell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 19:40:06 EDT 2017

Thanks Larry - I don't know why I didn't think of that!

According to the 1964 Assembly Manual, Section 6, Sheet A4.00 titled "Belt and Belt Adjustment, on 3-27-64:
Note 6 :  "View A Revised and Dim Added".  (View A shows the two guides and the dimensions for adjusting them)
Note 7: "Dim Instructions Revised"
(This refers to the dimensions for clearance from guide to top edge of pulley after belt is tightened)
Note 8: "Tensioning Note Revised"

I checked the 1963 Assembly Manual and there is a similar page for "Belt and Belt Adjustment ", Section 6 Sheet A 9.00.  The main photo on this sheet is nearly identical to the main photo in the 1964 manual, but View A is quite different and, of course, does not show belt guides.

Therefore it is a possibility that the belt guides may have been added around 3-27-64, at the time View A and belt tensioning note was revised.  However, note 7 seems to suggest the possibility that there could have been an earlier version of view A showing the belt guides with a different clearance between the fan pulley and top shroud belt guide, so this date is not certain.

I also checked the 1964 Assembly Manual Air Conditioning section but find no mention there of belt guides.  I rather suspect they were not added to the A/C engine but I'm really not sure about that.

Bill