[V8Vairs] Engine Covers

v8vairs@corvair.org v8vairs@corvair.org
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 07:58:55 -0600

I was planning on constructing a sectional cover in several parts.   The
basic framing would be half inch square steel tube welded together.
Skinning would be either light steel or aluminium.  I was going to
insulate the back side with some kind of fiberglas insulation package with
a foil liner.  I haven't researched insulation yet and so have no answers
for that part yet.  The inside of the panel could even be faced with a
steel or aluminium skin as well.  This would provide a sandwich style
construction which would be very light and strong.  If I used an expanded
steel mesh, for example on the inside, this would retain the insulation,
and add very little overall to the weight.

I had intended to make the cover in sections for several reasons.  For
one, it would allow removal of pieces rather the whole assembly, which
would ease both design and installation tasks.  Also, with any large
cover, structural stiffness becomes an issue, and more bracing and
reinforcement is needed, adding to weight.  The smaller sections will be
adequately stiff with the square tube border,  and should provide a good
strength to weight balance.  Where the different panels join, I can add a
larger tubing support if needed, which could be removed separately.  The
goal is to design the cover out of easily buildable flat panels which
combine to give a three dimensional appearance.  Sealing between the
sections would be accomplished by heavy weather-stripping foam tape, which
would also deaden sound.  Ideally, each panel would lock in the previous
so that only one would have to be secured with a latch, but this may be
asking too much.

One of the biggest reasons for me to plan on the sectionalized cover
design is overall fit and appearance.  I do desire to have the cover
contoured around the engine as much as possible.  By making different
sections in different areas, I can easily give the overall cover a
sculptural quality where appropriate without a great deal of work and
extensive strengthening.  I have even given some thought to inserting some
tempered fireplace door glasses in a double paned arrangement so that
people could see the engine while still providing heat and noise
insulation.  (I've heard that it is acceptable to sacrifice some weight
for style...)   I was also planning to make a small, hinged jury door in
one of the panels to access the dipstick and anything else needing
frequent attention.

Frank F Parker
Sent by: v8vairs-admin@corvair.org
08/24/2004 07:03 AM
Please respond to
v8vairs@corvair.org

v8vairs@corvair.org
cc

Subject
Re: [V8Vairs] Engine Covers

> Hello all, been kinda quiet on here.  I am starting to think about
enclosing
> the engine, and was wondering what to use to make it out of, fiberglass
or
> steel.  I have access and experience with both, just wondering if I
could keep
> the noise/heat out with the fiberglass, with proper insulation of
course...I
> appreciate any thoughts or comments.  Thanks.

I am in same boat as u are as to what to use for a cover. Fiberglass gets
real heavy fast as would even thin steel. I was thinking of using a frame
of square alum tubing with aluminum foil covered foam panels with a type
of to be selected ceramic insulation. The panels would be covered with
some carbon fibre vinyl. Like u, otheer suggestions welcomed.

frank