[V8Vairs] Re: Thought- Cooling Pipes

Brown, Douglas T CIV NAVAIR DEPT douglas.t.brown at navy.mil
Wed Dec 7 12:10:11 EST 2005

To add to the discussion on radiator pipes, I offer this.  A while back I asked Bill Bertram, who runs a Chevy V6, how he liked his rear radiator setup.

His reply:
"The rear radiator has worked fine for me. It is a 31x19
mustang aluminum unit from Becool.
The scoop is a 3 piece sheet metal unit that mounts to the tabs I tig welded
to the radiator. I have dual Spal fans that are controlled by individual temp
propes. 1 is in the intake manifold and the other is in the outlet side of
the radiator. The fans are pullers mounted on the rear of the radiator. I am
using a Stewart high flow water pump. I do not have AC so no evap. It never
gets above 200 degrees. The plumbing is easier than a front mounted unit. I
use 1.5 inch stainless tubing."

As far as larger pipes providing more cooling, I think it's on such a small scale as to be insignificant in this application.  The cross-sectional area to surface area ratio is a constant pi/2.  With larger pipes you are moving more water, but slower.  Chuck S was right in saying you'll get more surface cooling from multiple pipes, but space becomes the issue.  A good sized radiator and efficient cooling fans will override any issue with pipes.

Toby Brown
Warm and sunny San Diego