[V8Vairs] Reverse rotation 215 Buick

v8vairs@corvair.org v8vairs@corvair.org
Wed, 2 Feb 2005 14:19:25 EST

In a message dated 2/2/2005 10:50:13 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL writes:

I know  that Jon Brakke said he had issues and had to do some work to make
the  reverse rotation system work-seems to me it dealt with the  distributor.

Chuck S

-----Original Message-----
From:  NicolCS@aol.com [mailto:NicolCS@aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 02,  2005 1:44 PM
To: VairMech@aol.com; v8vairs@corvair.org
Subject: Re:  [V8Vairs] Reverse rotation 215 Buick

In thinking about this, I'm  scratching my head as  to why the guy who
'splained all this to me  would need to have managed  up-thrust on the
distributor
after  describing a reverse  distributor gear.

On both the Corvair motor (Jon Brakke's case) and the Buick motor,  (Craig's
and Tim's case), reversing the distributor drive changes the direction  of
thrust on the distributor main shaft. The 4.3 Chevy Vortec V6 in Oregon had  the
same problem. All of the distributors are designed to spread the thrust
against a bearing, and now it is unloaded and pushing the other way. MSD builds  a
distributor for the V6 with a big bearing that, acccording to MSD, can  take
the thrust in either direction. I'm not sure if one is available for the  215
V8 though. - Of course, I could be wrong. - Seth

Seth  Emerson
Sethracer@aol.com
C's the day! Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette