[V8Vairs] New Car & Questions

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Sun Oct 23 21:37:02 EDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoffrey A Johnson" <geoffj at unm.edu>
To: <v8vairs at corvair.org>

> Hi,
> I just joined this list.  Many may know me from VV.  I just bought a 66
> Corsa with 66 Toronado power from a good friend.  I have known this car
> for a while and

> The other problem it has is the Quadrajet is dumping out way to much fuel.
>    Wondering if I should rebuild it ( I think it is stock) or go to a
> different carburetor.  Like a more modern one?  I know Vair carbs in and
> out, but very little about these carburetors.  What modern ones will
> work?  It is a completely stock
> 425 Olds engine.
>   -Geoff Johnson
*************
Hi, glad to see you over here also (g) ....

Hey, on the quadrajet, you already have what is maybe the best carb ever
built that gives that kind of flow ....   the way they work is that they
have big main jets that are filled with needles when the need for fuel is
not much ..... when you open the primaries, ( the little bores ) you have
about enough fuel mix to get you up to 4000 rpm or so ... vacuum then starts
opening the 2ndaries, the big mommas  ..... and that also starts lifting the
needles out of the holes ....
**********
Sometimes hot rodders like to think they would be ahead if they run smaller
needles, ( more wet stuff ), or have the vacuum open quicker, etc. etc. ....
which mostly just gets you a lot of wet fuel you don[t need.  Or they could
bypass the vacuum pull-opens, so everything opens from the throttle pedal,
but that is not recommended.

***********
different needles are available, bigger needles ( less tapered at the end )
will lean out the mix,   oh yeah, some hot rodders grind off the ends of the
needles, that makes the dang fuel just pour out ...
*************
If nothing butchered is apparent, call around and find a Quadrajet doctor
... lots of " shops"   don[t know too much about these rigs, but when tuned
right, they are very smooth and yet give  lots and lots of mixture flow and
control.

If you wimp out and get a Holley, send the quadrajet to me ( g) I will
gladly pay the ups charges.
********
I have never seen a Toronado conversion run, I bet that thing is a beast
!!!!!!!!
************
When you get tired of making asphalt ruts in your driveway, and since you
already have a " rear engine" rig, I bet the little Rover aluminum v8 would
be dandy just dandy ... I think they are available now in 4 liter or so ...
and a t3 airesearch would be a fun add-on for a mild easy 300 horses ....
and give you handling, too !!
Are you running the Toronado transmission & drive axles?  Hey, would a Rover
hook to your Toronado transmission ???   I guess the next question is would
it even turn it over ???   (g)
*********
reargards, ken campbell, iowa