[V8Vairs] More - New Car & Questions

Geoffrey A Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Mon Oct 24 12:50:34 EDT 2005

Thanks to everyone for all the great info on the Quadrajet.  This car has
not been driven much, so the carburetor may have just been a little
sticky.   When I drove it home yesterday, we noticed it "loading up"  and
throwing some unburned gas out of the exhaust.  Put about 80 heart shaking
miles on it since, and it seems to be doing better.  10 MPG I will kind of
have to get used to, but this car is definately no daily driver, so no big
worries, but I would like to do what I can.
Matt- If you look in the interior shots there is a "Stator" switch I added
when I borrowed it last year, to turn on the variable pitch in the TC.
Made the car launch much much faster.  We believed at the time though that
this helped to burn out the transmission when it let loose on me.  So it
was disabled in the transmission.  I think now it was most likely caused
by excessive thrust from idle being to high, while in gear, and age.

> *********** different needles are available, bigger needles ( less
> tapered at the end ) will lean out the mix, oh yeah, some hot rodders
> grind off the ends of the needles, that makes the dang fuel just pour
> out ... *************

I had a old Chevy truck for a while, but got rid of it as quickly as I
could.  It had a Q-Jet on it, now I rememeber the rebuilt one I put on had
some epoxy sealing on it.  Made it go from 6mpg to 13mpg so I did not
complain, except for having to drive that truck!

> I have never seen a Toronado conversion run, I bet that thing is a beast
> !!!!!!!!

I have never driven many "fast" cars, mostly always stocker Vairs....
This things is Oh-My-God fast, at least to me.
I have to get used to it.  It sits about 4 inches higher then our lowered
66 Corsa.  Big difference from the dowdy, frumpy look that stock lates
have always had in my eye, to this.

> ************
> already have a " rear engine" rig, I bet the little Rover aluminum v8 would
> be dandy just dandy ... I think they are available now in 4 liter or so ...
> and a t3 airesearch would be a fun add-on for a mild easy 300 horses ....
> and give you handling, too !!

I have a Buick Special with a 215, and have several engines.  Always
wanted to build a 215 Vair.  Would like somethign a little bigger then
that if I swap something else into this thing!  But smaller, turbo'd and
aluminum are definately in the list of "dreams".

> Are you running the Toronado transmission & drive axles?  Hey, would a Rover
> hook to your Toronado transmission ???   I guess the next question is would
> it even turn it over ???   (g)

Toro transmission and axles, mated to the Corvair parts  at some point
(dont
remember and have not poked under there yet).  I know there are adaptor
plates out there or so.

No hurries to change the engine yet.   Someday would like better then
10mpg economy, so I could drive it more often!
The fun  of this car though is it is a finished major engineering project.
I can have fun working on and modifying it, yet it is not a project that
sits and will never get finished!

Matt, Sorry to see you won't make the Fan Belt Toss this year.  We will be
flying out, and driving back.  Hope to see others out there and other V8
cars!

-Geoff Johnson